Interesting article today on cnn about a case in Canada where a student was on the verge of expulsion for cheating. As far as I can tell from the article, the student encouraged others to post their answers/thoughts/work on a set of chemistry problems on a facebook workgroup page.
Hmm. That's cheating? How is that different from a group of students working together on the same problems? Something which happens on a not-infrequent basis on school campuses worldwide. I suspect there is more to the story, but I'm left wondering if the school has overstepped. There was mention in the article that the professor required the work to be done "independently" - but there seems to be some gray area between completing the work independently and discussing it with other students.
Either way, it makes for an interesting and important consideration for students today in collaborating online with classmates and friends. Moms, if you're reading this, you need to pay heed as well so that your child is following the rules as laid out by his/her school. Most should have online policies by now (I shudder at the thought if they don't) - is this kind of case spelled out in them? If it isn't, might be time to suggest it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment