I find this news item just plain depressing.
Why?
I've spent all of my adult life, and most of my childhood for that matter, dreaming of life on other planets. I remember when it first occurred to me that not everyone shared my viewpoint. I was in third grade. I have no idea what subject we were in, but I remember raising my hand and saying something along the lines of, "What if there's other planets out there and they're still in the dinosaur times!" I eagerly looked around the room for the nods of encouragement, friendly smiles. Hmm...
No, no. Just gave them more evidence for how weird I was! Somewhere not long after I discovered the wonders of the Golden Age science fiction writers - Asimov and Heinlein were my two favorites. I dreamed with them, and continue to this day. I write science fiction as a hobby, and feel personally offended by this researcher, how funny is that? I want to write him a letter to tell him to stop pissing in my wheaties. I'm finding holes in his logic, all kinds of reasons he's wrong. Care to join me on my self-riteous geek-induced extraterrestrial hissy fit?
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Call off the search! Researcher says little chance of extraterrestrial life
Labels:
authors,
extraterrestrial life,
science fiction,
writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment